Joseph Drouhin Volnay Clos des Chênes
- In their great wisdom, the ancestors of today’s vignerons felt compelled to give a name to each parcel of land which they cultivated.
- Transmitted through the ages, these names are like short descriptions, and are still in use today.
- Thus, Clos des Chênes in Volnay (the enclosure of the oaks): We know that oak trees grew there even before the arrival of the vine.
- The Drouhin family owns a beautiful vineyard in this Premier Cru. Some notebooks written by Robert’s father and grandfather have been handed down to the present generation and contain a treasure-trove of information on the vineyard itself and its history: Frosts, diseases, soil characteristics, rebuilding of stone walls, etc.
- Volnay Clos des Chênes produces a remarkable wine, especially when tradition is respected. Robert Drouhin is fond of saying: “Enology is necessary but should never displace our traditions. If too much technology is used, all wines taste alike. They become neither good nor bad, just average. On the other hand, common sense and a deep respect for tradition will guarantee the individuality and quality that only terroir can offer”.
GRAPE VARIETY: 100% Pinot Noir
FOOD PAIRINGS: In Burgundy, fowl and white meats are the choice accompaniment for Clos des Chênes: chicken, veal, and hare. The cheeses should be on the mild side. Graceful and flavorful, Volnay-Clos des Chênes is certainly one of the most charming Burgundy wines.
TASTING NOTES: “A wine full of charm. A beautiful, intense and luminous, ruby color. A floral nose dominated by an aroma of violet, a signature of this wine. Other delicate notes can be detected, such as rose jam and wild strawberry (fraise des bois). Good structure on the palate, with refined tannins. Nice texture with floral and fruity flavors that seem to linger for a long time.” – Véronique Boss-Drouhin
2020 | Tech Sheet | POS | Label | Bottle Shot